Boy (6) lands up in hospital after bullying incident

JJ Pieterse (6) recovers in hospital after he was almost drowned by his seven-year-old tormentor.

POLOKWANE – The traumatic ordeal of a six-year-old boy at the hands of a seven-year-old bully almost ended in tragedy when he nearly drowned in a stream in Ladanna on Tuesday.

According to Bertie and Annatjie Pieterse, six-year-old JJ’s parents, when their son did not arrive home from school at the usual time on Tuesday, they became concerned and started contacting his friends to find him.

JJ’s mother relates what occurred:

“One of JJ’s friends, a little girl, arrived breathless at our home. She said she had been sent by JJ and he was in big trouble because he was being bullied by an older boy – a seven-year-old – at school. The little girl told us that for the past two weeks, the older boy followed JJ to school each morning and home in the afternoons and the bully would push and hit JJ and taunt him all the way”.

Annatjie further said the little girl told them to follow her as JJ was being beaten up again by this boy and needed help. “We followed her to a field between Bulawayo Street and Nelson Mandela Drive, where there is a stream. As we arrived, we saw a man pull JJ out of the water. He told us when he arrived there, two boys were running down the street screaming that a boy had been killed,” JJ’s mother said.

She said the man ran to where the boys had directed him and saw JJ floating face down in the water, at which he immediately took him out of the water.

The Pieterses said eye-witnesses later told them a screaming group of children from a school in the area had followed JJ down Bulawayo Street as he was on his way home. “They said one of the boys was taunting JJ and calling him names. When he tried to run away from them the older boy pushed him into the stream, swearing at him. The bully reportedly told JJ to leave school and Polokwane because nobody wants him anyway,”Annatjie said.

When JJ tried to get out of the bully’s grip, the bully pushed him deeper into water and held his head under the water for long period several times. The third time he did this, JJ did not fight back and the bully ran off with his friends leaving JJ unconscious in the water, his mother told Review.

Little JJ was resuscitated and rushed to the Pietersburg Provincial Hospital where he spent the night for observation. It is believed he will make a full recovery, his mother said.

At the time of going to print yesterday (Wednesday) the Pieterses were about to open a criminal case with the police. They said they had requested legal advice and were awaiting further guidance from their legal representative.

They said the bully’s parents had been informed of what had occurred.

Review contacted the bully’s family but the family declined to comment on the matter.

For more breaking news visit us on ReviewOnline and CapricornReview or follow us on Facebook or Twitter

For more breaking news visit us on ReviewOnline and CapricornReview or follow us on Facebook or Twitter

Riana Joubert

Latest News


Next Story x
MGM Polokwane has a new home